Jan 7, 2013

Singer machine cabinet makeover






Some time ago I was lucky to get the 100 years old Singer machine cabinet - some aquintances didn't recognize its beauty adn were happy to give it to me. Some wooden parts were not in a very good condition, but I wasn't worried, I saw the hidden beauty of the cabinet. First of all, I decided not to replace the veneer that was in a realy bad shape, but to remove and sanded the surface. After that, I dissasemble all parts of the cabinet (hubby helped) to clean them and sand them, particulary the wooden parts.
This is the unavoidable, but necessary work to be done, and the work I don't like very much, but if you don't do that properly, the finished piece will be defficient.

Metal parts painted with Hammerite silver, wooden with acrylic paint (white) and varnish.

Now I have beautiful table for my notebook, and in the same time, vintage Singer sawing machine. A lot of people get rid of the sawing machine, but for my point of view, this is sin. When you see how it is made, all those inventive details, you can only admire the old craftsmen who created it.

Below you can see how it looked like before I refurbished it.




1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is right that using plywood is the best option. Solid wood has a tendency to expand and contract as the humidity changes leading to instability. Thanks for the information.
    show more

    ReplyDelete