Oct 3, 2012

DIY Shabby-looking sign









Shabby chic furniture look has been very popular last years, and for the reason. It is particularly convenient for the hobby crafters and  beginners as you don't need to be master to refurbish something old  and get astonished new piece of furniture. That is one of the reasons I like it as well. The other is sense of romance this style brings to my home. But personally, I think it should be a little bit careful and not to overdo to use it. I prefer more modern style with some romantic details and space overcrowded with flowers, pillows, curtains,  shabby chic pieces is not what I would choose.
This shabby-looking sign is detail I painted in my kitchen, above the window. 
It is very simple project and see how I did it.


DIY Shabby-looking sign Tutorial

Material






Material: 
- brushes - wider for the board and smaller for the sign
- small amount of brown, white and yellow acrylic paint
- masking tape
- candle
- sanding paper grade 100













There was a plain wooden board above the window. 






To get shabby look easier, first I rubbed it with the candle. Then protected the outer edge with the masking tape and painted with brown acrylic paint.

I opened blank Word document on my PC, reviewed fonts,  chose the one I liked (it was Old English text), and printed sign using WordArt to get bigger letters.







I used chalk to 'copy' letter from the paper onto the board. 










Then I painted letters with the tone of white.






At the end, added shadows of yellow.











  Finally, sanded the whole board to get the shabby look. That's why some imperfections are not the flaw, but even the advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment