Aug 21, 2012

Furniture makevover - How to start 1





My holidays are over, I have to go  back to work, and to my 'other' work too - I am taking my hobbies very seriously. Of all things I am working on, furniture makeover is my favorite. I started this accidentally, but fell in love realizing the creativity potential. Decorating wood is one of the best ways to forget the stress of everyday life.






This furniture on the photos I refurbished during past couple of years turning ugly and rather damaged pieces into a furniture I love.

But how to start if you are a beginner?

First of all, you need some tools and material, most of them probably you already have, the other  could be obtained from a do-it-yourself or hobby  store or local hardware store.



Basic material for furniture makeover





Sandpaper and wood

sandpaper
Sandpapers

Brushes and Rollers
Spatulas
Masking tape


- sandpaper
- filler and spatula to repair smaller damages
- brushes and rollers
- primer for wood
- paint - I will talk about paint later on
- masking tape
- screwdrivers, hammer
- cloth, plastic sheets, old newspapers for protection


Only the basic material/tools is listed - enough to start; there is a number of techniques used for furniture refurbishment and decoration, so additional material could be used as well and I will mention it later on, when describing certain technique.

Sandpaper is essential for the surface preparation. It comes in different grades, from very fine to coarse. The grade of the paper is specified at the back of the sand paper -higher number indicates  a finer grit. To make sanding easier, if you are sanding manually, wrap it around piece of wood.

Paintbrushes are made of bristles and come in different sizes; it is much better to buy good quality brushes and clean them thoroughly after painting. Fine-art brushes are used for detailed work and decorations.  Rollers are used for painting larger surfaces and I prefer them for that purpose.

Screwdrivers, hammer and such tools are useful to pull out nails or screws.

Filler is used to repair small damages, holes or cracks in the wood (use spatulas or palette knife to apply filler). For larger repair, if you are beginner, ask help from a friend, family or local carpenter.

No comments:

Post a Comment